Get Local Guide. The Guide to living, working and studying in the Gothenburg Region. Foto: Michael Åkerström - PDF

Get Local Guide The Guide to living, working and studying in the Gothenburg Region. Foto: Michael Åkerström TABLE OF CONTENTS TABLE OF CONTENTS 03 WELCOME TO THE GOTHENBURG REGION 03 THE CITY OF GOTHENBURG

Please download to get full document.

View again

of 20
All materials on our website are shared by users. If you have any questions about copyright issues, please report us to resolve them. We are always happy to assist you.


Publish on:

Views: 51 | Pages: 20

Extension: PDF | Download: 0

Get Local Guide The Guide to living, working and studying in the Gothenburg Region. Foto: Michael Åkerström TABLE OF CONTENTS TABLE OF CONTENTS 03 WELCOME TO THE GOTHENBURG REGION 03 THE CITY OF GOTHENBURG 03 Emergency information 03 BUSINESS REGION GÖTEBORG 04 DISCLAIMER 04 Notes 04 Interpreters 05 REGIONAL CONTACTS 06 CHECK LIST, PERMITS AND VISA 06 CHECK LIST 06 Prior to moving 06 Once you have moved 07 RESIDENCE AND WORK PERMIT 07 Registering right of residence 07 Documents required to register right of residence 07 Registering your residency in Sweden 07 Residence and work permits for non EU/EEA citizens 07 Required documents 08 IDENTIFICATION NUMBER AND IDENTITY CARD 08 Registration and obtaining a personal identification number 08 Identity Card 08 CUSTOMS CLEARANCE 08 Import of personal goods into Sweden 08 Vehicles 08 Tobacco and alcohol 08 Pets 09 SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICAL CARE 09 SOCIAL SECURITY 09 MEDICAL CARE 09 Health Centres for mothers and children MVC and BVC 09 MEDICAL ASSISTANCE TELEPHONE 09 Sjukvårdsupplysningen 09 Medical assistance for children telephone 10 HOSPITALS 10 WALK-IN CLINICS 10 MEDICAL CENTRES 10 OTHER ALTERNATIVES 10 PHARMACY 11 DENTAL CARE 12 HOUSING 12 RENTING AN APARTMENT IN SWEDEN 12 First hand contract 12 Second hand conctract 12 Companies offering furnished rental apartments 12 PURCHASING AN APARTMENT OR HOUSE 12 RELOCATION COMPANIES 1 13 PRACTICAL ISSUES 13 ELECTRICITY 13 TELEVISION 13 TELEPHONY AND INTERNET 13 TELEPHONE 14 CELL/MOBILE PHONES 14 INTERNET 14 NEWSPAPERS 14 BANKS AND POST OFFICES 15 PUBLIC TRANSPORT 15 AIRPORTS 15 PORT 15 OWNING A CAR 15 Registering a new car 15 Annual roadworthy inspection 15 Speed limits 15 Drinking and driving 15 Winter tires 16 Safety: Dimmed headlights and seat belts 16 Pedestrian crossings 16 Parking 16 Idling 17 TAXES AND BUSINESS 17 TAXES 17 Salaries and trade unions 17 The structure of Swedish taxation 17 Tax on employment income 18 Tax on capital income 18 Tax relief for foreign key personnel 18 Corporate taxation 18 VAT (Value Added Tax) 18 BUSINESS 18 Establishing your own business, Patents and registration 18 Associations for entrepreneurs 18 Advisors 19 EDUCATION 19 THE INTERNATIONAL DAY CARE CENTRES 20 THE INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL AND BILINGUAL SCHOOLS 20 INTERNATIONAL BACCALAUREATE PROGRAM IN ENGLISH 20 BOARDING SCHOOLS IN SWEDEN 21 UNIVERSITIES 21 GRADES AND LANGUAGE COURSES 21 Translation of degrees and grades 21 Swedish language courses 22 SPOUCES LOOKING FOR A JOB IN THE GOTHENBURG REGION 22 BEFORE MOVING TO THE GOTHENBURG REGION 22 Contact the EURES-office in Gothenburg (EU/EES) 22 Recognition of qualifications from abroad 22 Right to unemployment benefits? 22 WHEN YOU HAVE ARRIVED TO THE GOTHENBURG REGION 22 Establish contact with your local Arbetsförmedlingen 22 Register at a wide range of recruitment companies 23 CULTURE AND LEISURE 23 CONSERT HALLS AND MUSEUMS 23 ART GALLERIES 23 AMUSEMENT PARKS 23 GARDENS 23 SPORT AND EVENT STADIUMS 24 CHURCHES 24 CLUBS AND ASSOCIATIONS FOR EXPATS 25 TOURISM, SHOPPING AND RESTAURANTS 25 READING 2 WELCOME TO THE GOTHENBURG REGION! Foto: Shutterstock THE CITY OF GOTHENBURG Gothenburg is Sweden s second largest city, with approximately inhabitants living within the city centre and living in the Gothenburg region. Gothenburg is both a historical and an international city. The climate in Gothenburg has been an international one since the city was founded in The city s first council consisted of five Dutchmen, two Germans, two Scots and three Swedes and the city had three official languages at this time. Today the international feel of the city can be largely attributed to the influence of people from abroad. English is widely spoken and television programmes can be viewed in Swedish (of course), English, German, French and many other languages. You will find yourself feeling very much at home in Gothenburg after only a short time. It is a city that embraces a top quality of life, a rich cultural scene, a clean environment, good connections to the rest of Europe, a beautiful coastline and lots of accessible green areas. Gothenburg is a great place to work, live and enjoy. You have made a good choice. Welcome! 112 IN CASE OF EMERGENCY DIAL 112 This is a general number for all of Sweden. The operator will help you at all times with anything concerning, Ambulance, Rescue and Fire Brigade, Police, Medical Assistance, Poisons, Acute Dental Care or a Priest. BUSINESS REGION GÖTEBORG Business Region Göteborg is a non-profit organization that works to promote and augment growth and employment in the Gothenburg region. Business Region Göteborg works with business development and investment and also assists with the establishment of new businesses. Business Region Göteborg aims to foster and sustain a diversified business climate in the Gothenburg region, which includes 13 municipalities; Ale, Alingsås, Gothenburg, Härryda, Kungsbacka, Kungälv, Lerum, Lilla Edet, Mölndal, Partille, Stenungsund, Tjörn and Öckerö. Business Region Göteborg takes pleasure in inviting all newcomers to the Gothenburg region. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions: Petra Sedelius Helen Teame Head of Investment Service Establishment and Investment Advisor Phone Phone Mobile Mobile DISCLAIMER Please contact the appropriate authorities, as listed in this guide if you have further queries or concerns. The companies and contact names used are examples only and their inclusion should not be seen as partiality. We advise you to look for other companies using the internet. All facts quoted are subject to change due to changing market conditions. Notes The internet provides a wealth of information. In the Get Local Guide we are giving you several useful web sites that will make moving and living in the Gothenburg region easier. The information presented in this guide should prove useful to expatriates, entrepreneurs, students or anyone relocating or moving to Sweden. The focus is on the Gothenburg region. Use or to find telephone numbers or addresses in Sweden. These sites are in Swedish. For the first question is Vad söker du? (What are you looking for?). Here you can write a person s name, name of a company or branch (e.g. Relocation Companies) and the second question asked is Var? (Where?). Here you can write Göteborg or a street name or area. Another useful site is a site where you can translate words from Swedish to English and the other way around. NB: All sites referred to in this guide include some information in English, unless otherwise stated as (Swedish only). You can use Google ( to translate sites that are in Swedish into your language. Please also note that there is a considerable difference between the regulations covering EU citizens moving to Sweden and non-eu citizens. It is easier for EU citizens to move between any countries that are part of the European Union. They do not need a residence permit or a work permit. Non-EU citizens must apply for a resident and work permit before moving to Sweden. This distinction has been made clear in the text. Interpreters You are entitled to request the service of an interpreter when speaking with Swedish authorities such as police, lawyers or government municipal departments. You need to specify that you need an interpreter in advance. The government authority pays for the interpreter s services. Month of publication: July 64 Tjörn REGIONAL CONTACTS Please contact the responsible municipality to obtain information about housing, schools, services etc in a particular town within the Gothenburg region. Here we provide you with contact information for the thirteen municipalities. Gothenburg Mr Roger Strömberg Director of Business Establishment and Investment Phone: Kungälv Ms Anette Svahn Business Development Manager Phone: Stenungsund Ms Anette Oscarsson Business Development Manager Phone: Ale Mr Jerry Brattåsen Business Development Manager Phone: (Swedish only) Alingsås Mr Peter Axelberg Business Development Manager Phone: Härryda Ms Jessica Waller Business Development Manager Phone: (Swedish only) Kungsbacka Mr Michael Fransson Business Development Manager Phone: Lerum Mr Björn EK Contact Trade and Development Phone: Lilla Edet Ms Kajsa Jernqvist Business Development Manager Phone: Mölndal Mr Lars Ekberg Head of Strategic Development Dept. Phone: Partille Ms Nina Orback-Schultz Business Development Manager Phone: Tjörn Mr Berndt Grönlund Business Development Manager Phone: Öckerö Ms Katarina Stensryd Business Development Manager Phone: CHECK LIST, PERMITS AND VISA CHECK LIST Here is a check list with things to do to prepare for your move. Please note the differences for EU and non-eu citizens. You need to prepare well in advance for a move to a new country. The following is a suggested to-do list to prepare for a move to Sweden: Prior to moving Inform the appropriate authorities in your home country that you are moving abroad. Collect official documentation relating to your civil status, work experience, school and medical records etc. Renew your passport. Ensure that it is valid for at least 6 months as it could be difficult to obtain residence and work permits otherwise. Non EU citizens: Apply for residence and/or work permits. Non EU citizens: Apply for a visa to enter Sweden (if applicable). See web site of the government (regeringen) for a list of countries requiring visas for Sweden. Non EU citizens: Fill in a TV form for customs relief on personal belongings to be imported into Sweden. This form can be found at the web site of Swedish Customs (Tullverket): Make an inventory of all the household items you plan to ship to Sweden. Non EU citizens: If you plan to stay in Sweden for less than 12 months, arrange a comprehensive health plan in your home country. EU citizens: Bring the European Health Insurance Card (or E111) issued in your home country with you. This form covers health benefits until you are registered in the Swedish social security system. EU citizens: Apply for an E101 form, in your home country, if you plan to remain in its social security system. Arrange housing. Research day care centers, schools or universities for your children. (if applicable) Ensure that your driving license is valid for the whole period when you will reside in Sweden. (Non-EU citizens see information below). Once you have moved EU citizens: Report to your local tax office, (Skatteverket) in person, to apply for registration and a personal identification number (personnummer), if you intend to remain in Sweden for at least 1 year. Report to your local Social Insurance Office (Försäkringskassan) to register for social insurance benefits. (If you are in Sweden for at least one year and do not intend to remain in the social security system of your home country). Enrol children in day care, schools and universities. (if applicable) Resolve housing and remaining utility supply issues. Open a bank account (see lists of banks under heading Practical issues). Install a telephone and internet (see list of providers under heading Practical issues). Resolve issues regarding special taxation for expats, pension funds, trade unions etc. (see information under heading Business and taxes). Enrol in a Swedish language course (see information under heading Education). Apply for a Swedish ID card. (see information below). EU citizens: Register at the Migration Board (Migrationsverket) for right of residence. This form can be found at: Non EU citizens: If you plan to stay in Sweden for at least 185 days you can apply to the County Administrative Board (Länsstyrelsen) for permission to drive on your home country s driving licence while living in Sweden. You may need to ask a Swedish speaking person with help for this. The address for the form is: You will need a personal identification number to apply for this form on-line. (Swedish only). EU/EEA citizens only: More detailed information can be found on NB: EU citizens have to register their residency in Sweden, whereas non-eu citizens have to receive a residence and work permit from the Swedish Embassy/ Consulate before they leave their home country. See below for more information. 6 RESIDENCE AND WORK PERMIT You need to register right of residence. You will find information about how to do that here. Registering right of residence EU citizens and their families must register their right of residence within 3 months of entering Sweden. Nordic citizens do not need to register. When entering the country all family members need to have a valid passport or identity card proving their citizenship. All members of the family are entitled to begin working immediately. Documents required to register right of residence: A filled in form - see the web site of the Swedish Migration Board (Migrationsverket) A copy of your passport or identity card. A certificate of employment from your employer, stating the type and period of employment. This must be signed by the employer. It is advisable to use the Certificate of employment for citizens from the EU/EEA form. See Registering your residency in Sweden It does not cost anything to register and the registration certificate is permanent. You can do this in one of the following ways: on the Swedish Migration Board s (Migrationsverket) website by post to the Swedish Migration Board. at one of the Swedish Migration Board s Permit Units. Information about mailing and visiting addresses can be found on You will need to fill in the No form, irrespective of how you plan to apply. The following family members can be included: Husband, wife, registered partner or cohabitant. Children under 21 years of age. Residence and work permits for non EU/EEA citizens (this includes Swiss citizens) Non- EU/EEA citizens must have a work permit in order to work in Sweden. This must be entered in to your passport before your arrival in Sweden. You cannot travel to Sweden and wait for a decision here. If you plan to work in Sweden for more than 3 months, you also require a residence permit. An expert/specialist employed by an international concern, travelling to and from Sweden in this capacity, in order to carry out employment for temporary periods, does not require a work permit. This only applies if the duration of employment is less than 12 months. Required documents You require the following documents when applying for a residence and work permit in Sweden: (you do this at a Swedish embassy or consulate in your home country or country of residence. For a list of addresses, see ): A written offer of employment in Sweden. Your employer must fill this in and send it to you. (Form ) A passport, valid for the whole of your working period in Sweden. A filled in application form for a work permit (can be obtained from the Swedish Embassy or consulate in your home country). Two recent, colour photos (passport size). You will be notified by the embassy/consulate where you submitted your application. The procedure normally takes 6-8 weeks. Your spouse and children can also apply for a residence permit for the same period as yourself. Extension of permits: You can apply to the Migration Board (Migrationsverket) 7 IDENTFICATION NUMBER AND IDENTITY CARD Registration and obtaining a personal identification number: Entering Sweden: (both EU and non-eu citizens) If you plan to stay in Sweden for more than one year you need to visit the local tax office (Skattemyndigheten), in person, as soon as possible, to apply for civil registration and to receive a personal identification number. You will fill in a form ( Notification of Immigration into Sweden ), which is needed to clear your personal goods through customs when they arrive. Take with you: Your passport Your residence permit/visa (if applicable) Documents relating to your civil status (eg. Marriage certificate) Birth certificates for children under 18 years of age The tax offices in Gothenburg are located on: Östra Hamngatan 16 (Nordstan), Angereds Torg 3 and Frölunda Torg. All members of the family need to be present to register. Note that you need to have an address before you can register. Within a week, the tax office will send you a personal number for all members of your family. It is important to learn these numbers off by heart as you will be asked for them quite often. Identity Card It is recommended that you have such an ID card. You can order an ID card from the tax office (Skatteverket) Applicants must have a Swedish personal identity number (personnummer) and show a receipt that they have paid 400SEK to the Skatteverket account. You must personally visit the tax agency to prove your identity and to be photographed. You must have documentation to confirm your identity with you. Non EU citizens: Bring your passport with the residence permit in it. The tax office will then check this information with that registered at the Migration Board. EU citizens can use their EU passports as identification when obtaining a Swedish ID card. CUSTOMS CLEARANCE Rules concerning import of personal goods, vehicles, tobacco, alcohol and pets. Import of personal goods into Sweden EU/EEA citizens do not need to declare their goods with Swedish customs. Non EU-EEA citizens must fulfil certain conditions to be granted sales tax (VAT) relief. For more information see Swedish Customs (Tullverket) Vehicles For information about importing vehicles, registration and inspection requirements, see the Swedish Transport Agency (Transportstyrelsen) Tobacco and alcohol Tax is payable on the import of alcohol and tobacco. For information see Swedish Customs (Tullverket) Pets There are a number of things to consider before bringing pets to Sweden. See the Swedish Board of Agriculture (Jordbruksverket) for detailed information. 8 SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICAL CARE SOCIAL SECURITY As soon as you have been registered (civil registration) in Sweden, Swedish social security will apply, covering benefits like pension, medical care and health insurance. Social insurance is an important part of the Swedish social security system. The Swedish social insurance covers everyone that lives or works in Sweden. It provides financial protection for families and children, for persons with a disability and in connection with illness, work injury and old age. Through the Swedish membership of the EU, you may also be eligible for social insurance benefits in other EU member states. For more information about this, visit the web site of Försäkringskassan MEDICAL CARE (Sjukvård) The company you work for may organize medical treatment for you. If they do not then you can contact your local Medical Centre (Vårdcentral) if you need to see a doctor. You can also contact one of the walk-in-clinics as listed below. Note that you may not always be able to see the same doctor. You can find your local Medical Centre at (Swedish only) You can register with a doctor at any medical centre. For more information see: Health Centres for mothers and children MVC and BVC You should contact your local Mödravårdcentralen (MVC) if you are pregnant or require information regarding birth control. If you have a child under school age (6) contact your local Barnavårdscentralen (BVC) to join the vaccination programme and to have your child examined regularly. You can find your local Mödravårdcentral or Barnavårdcentral at (Swedish only) Dial 1177 for Medical Care Hotline MEDICAL ASSISTANCE - TELEPHONE Sjukvårdsupplysningen If you call from the Gothenburg area you can speak to a nurse who can give you medical advice and advise you whether or not to seek further medical assistance. Most of these nurses speak English. You can also dial the number 1177 from anywhere in the country. Also see for on-line medical assistance. (Swedish only). If it is an emergency, however, always dial 112. Medical assistance for children telephone Call after 4pm and before 8am if your c
Related Search
Similar documents
View more...
We Need Your Support
Thank you for visiting our website and your interest in our free products and services. We are nonprofit website to share and download documents. To the running of this website, we need your help to support us.

Thanks to everyone for your continued support.

No, Thanks